Good evening, people! Today I’m going to talk about ten things being a girl taught me. It’s quite a cynical post, so don’t tell me I didn’t warn you beforehand.
1. People will always expect me to be adjust – afterall, that’s what I’ll have to do all my life, right? ‘Adjust’? With my inlaws, my husband, his family – etc, etc.
2. I’ll never get to wear shorts or anything much revealing because “What if people stare?”.
3. I will be looked down upon if I’m too thin or fat. Who even gives a shit about the mind when there are more pressing issues like a ‘hot bod’?
4. I will always be accompanied by my ‘male protector’ after the sun sets. Because “It’s too dangerous to go out alone at night”.
5. If I don’t do some of the household work so as to make time for my office work, I’ll be called selfish. If a man does the same thing, he’s a poor hardworking bloke.
6. I’ll be forced to choose a career that isn’t very demanding so that I make time for my husband and kids. But males will be allowed to take up ANY kind of job – Hey! THEY are the main bread earners.
7. I will always have to tolerate the awkward stares when I go to buy sanitary napkins during menstruation. So many have told this, but it needs to be told again – This is a natural and a healthy process, kids. Every girl goes through it. Okay? Any doubts? Can we try and be normal about it?
8. I will be told what kind of clothes I should wear – if I don’t listen, I’ll be shunned from the community.
9. I’ll be groped, be subjected to lewd comments and suggestive sneers. And I’ll have to learn to live with it. Because “Men will be men.”
10. I’ll be asked a million questions if I talk to a guy. “Who’s he? Why didn’t you tell us you met him? Where does he live? What does he do?”
Oh God. I’m not thinking of marrying him Mom, Dad. So give it a rest, okay?
Girls, do you want to add anything to this list? And guys, I want to know what being a guy has taught you!